St Barbara has an important responsibility for the natural environment within which it operates. Environmental considerations are factored into all aspects of planning and operations.
Key aspects of the Company’s environmental management programme include:
- Ongoing, progressive rehabilitation of previously mined areas;
- Focus on water and energy efficiencies and sustainability;
- Proactive reporting and managing of environmental hazards and incidents;
- Environmental training and awareness;
- Ensuring compliance with statutory guidelines;
- Community and stakeholder consultation;
There has been a continued focus on improving the environmental management and performance of St Barbara. In particular, rehabilitation activities at historic mining areas were continued, hydrocarbon management practices were improved and the permitting for re-opening of areas for mining was successfully completed.
A Strategic Environmental Improvement Plan has been developed to address key challenges and opportunities facing the Company, as well as action plans to manage these issues.
Each year St Barbara submits its Annual Environmental Report to the Department of Mines and Petroleum and to the Department of Environment and Conservation. The reports detail comprehensively our environmental activities at both our Southern Cross and Leonora Operations.